Sunday, October 17, 2010

Gopher Guts

*First, my apologies for no posts Thursday and Friday. I see I actually lost a couple of followers when I didn't post for several days, and that makes me sad. :*( However, my oldest, Bayberry, got her third HPV vaccine (Gardasil) and immediately went into a full-blown seizure, had loss of feeling in her leg, and has been dizzy and headache-y ever since. Nothing like this has ever happened to her. We have a pediatric neurologist visit this week to see what's going on. I would advise anyone considering this vaccine to read up on it online. That's all I'll say for now.

Onto lunch! Do you remember the song about gopher guts from childhood? There are so many versions, but this is the one I was raised with:

Miles and miles of greasy, grimy gopher guts
Mutilated monkey meat
Chopped up parakeet
Eyeballs, eyeballs, floating in my bloody soup
Me without my spoon

So that's what the kids are taking, in honor of the month of October and Halloween, for lunch this Monday.


Miles and Miles of Greasy Grimy Gopher Guts (Chilled Peanut Butter Pasta Salad)
Mutilated Monkey Meat (Cut-up chocolate chip cookies and Halloween theme mini marshmallows)
Chopped Up Parakeet (Kiwi)
Eyeballs Eyeballs Floating in my bloody soup (pomegranate seeds)


Peanut Butter Pasta:

Cook 1/4 lb of whole wheat spaghetti al dente. Drain and toss with a bit of olive oil.
In a small sauce pan, combine 1 cup beef broth, 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp sugar, 1/2 cup green peas, 1/3 cup peanut butter (crunchy or creamy, your choice)/ Cook and stir until thickened. Toss with pasta. Serve warm or chilled, with sesame seeds on top.

8 comments:

  1. I'm very sorry to hear about this with your daughter. I wish you the best with the neurologist visit this week! I can't even begin to imagine how scary this was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying for you guys this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very scary with your daughter. Will be thinking about you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. Please keep us posted...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your daughter is alright! That is so scary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thats horrible I Hope that she is feeling better soon, sending thoughts and prayers to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope your daughter is okay. I witnessed my daughter have a febrile seizure when she was 2 and it was one of the scariest things ever. Your in our thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like all the other commentors, I am really sorry to hear about Bayberry. I hope you and your family have some very good news coming your way! I really enjoy your blog, and I'll keep coming back, even if you miss a few days here and there.

    ReplyDelete